Month: March 2018

A New String Quilt 2018

Finished on June 24th in 2019

The Blue and Yellow color scheme is a favorite of mine these days. After an inventory purging and reorganization of my quilting scrapes I am ready to start. I have come up with a pattern and I think I can pull it off with Four different string blocks. I am using a paper piecing technique.

Sorting and Ironing String Scraps
What a process.

Blue and Yellow

all my blue and yellow fabric scraps

Blue and Yellow

Fabric Scraps to be ironed

Blue and Yellow Scraps

I have been ripping some of the scraps so that the process goes faster.

img_20180308_1320164651815545252.jpg

img_20180308_143915507365562789.jpg
I like to use tissue paper for paper piecing strings because it tears off easily

My sketch of the pattern and the number of squares I think I will need: 16 yellow patches, 76 blue and yellow patches, 12 light value (pale) patches, and 28 dark blue patches.  These numbers will change I am sure!
**If you look at the quilt you will see that I did not use any of the yellow squares.  It was a nice idea but I came to the conclusion that since the room was yellow–the all yellow patches would be too much.
The only yellow square is in the center and is made up of 4 yellow-blue squares.


for sketching and figuring graph paper works well

img_20180312_1754450101510920742.jpg

As you can see I like to design as I go.  This sketch today will help me to make some more adjustments while I am making the squares. At the present I have made 21 squares. I have enough to layout the center section and I can see that some adjustments are in order.

The corner where you see the B’s I will add the light blue strips. So I need to make 8 light+dark blue squares. This will provide a nice border in both the inner and the outer bands.

 

I have now added the dark blue and yellow string blocks which surround the lighter blue string blocks. Next I think I will add another row of lighter blue blocks.

img_20190413_1535520444422766081866809978.jpg

The blue border I added did not work so well this time.  It stretched during the sewing and did not lay flat.  It was on a roll and I inherited it and have had it a long time.  I think it is time to give it to the scrap exchange.  It was trouble!

I Hand quilted this by myself and it took me over a month and then I finished it off with a yellow ochre print binding.

img_20190624_172658483828003970066326987.jpg

Final stitches on June 24th 2019