Machine pieced Monkey Wrench Pattern using triangles and squares to form the 10″ Squares started in May 2019. A friend from quilting mentioned that she wanted to do a monkey wrench quilt but all she had was directions for a twelve inch block. Thinking about it I had always wanted to do one too so I got busy and figured out how to make a 10″ block.
Here is the preliminary drawing that maps out the shapes in light and dark that form the pattern.
4 shapes are used in this design.
Below are the Templates I cut out for her. I made them out of cardboard. They can be used in cutting out the shapes of fabric to form the pattern. She wanted to make hers very scrappy.
Templates for pieces of the monkey wrench pattern
I have included the Math notes figuring the size of squares that the triangles can be cut from if you choose not to use the template. When cutting diagonals out of squares It is important to consider which sides are cut on the diagonal as that side will stretch. Diagonals should not form the outside edge of the larger square. Also triangles need to be cut at least 5/8 ths of an inch bigger than the finished shape so that points don’t get cut off where seams meet. One quarter inch for seam allowances for the small squares. That is figured into these measurements.
Layout of pieces that make up the Monkey Wrench pattern, interlocking of lights and darks
Cut Shapes are laid out to form the pattern
Shapes are sewed together and pressed starting with the small light and dark squares
I managed to put all my squares together the same way accept one That one square is the reverse of all the others. I will keep it that way and use it in the center.
I have laid out the 11 squares I have with the odd square in the center. This pretty print presented itself at this time as I was pondering over how to lay it out. I inherited it from my mother or my great Aunt. It seems to me that it might serve as an anchor to hold the thing together since it has a lot of colors. It is light and airy even though it is dark and it has a fresh painterly flow about it. The floral pattern will keep the palette from going to far into that autumn and fall look. I plan to quilt the interlocking shapes into the whole cloth pieces.
I am going to make 10 more squares and then see how it looks. Those 10 squares will go down the sides and make it square. At that point I will decide if my plan is working and if that is the case I will sew it together.
Machine pieced interlocking squares and triangles form the Monkey Wrench pattern
Step One cut 3 inch stripes of black and white. Sew them together in two patterns. White Black White and Black White Black.
Cutting the 3 inch stripe sheets into three inch blocks
Black White Black and White Black White strips ready for sewing into the checkerboard pattern
Marion sews the checks together
A section of the checkerboard border is complete and laid against the existing body of the quilt top
It took quite a while to assemble this border and then attach it to the quilt. Once it was complete I took it to show it to the Cedar Grove Quilters. They invited me to have it quilted at a much faster rate than I could do on my own. It is very exciting for me to see it finished this spring. Who knows how long it would have taken me working by my self. Group quilting or “the Quilting Bee” is so much fun and interchange of ideas is invigorating. So much knowledge and experience is passed back and forth. It is a great experience!
“Harbor Lights” Machine Pieced and Hand Quilted 94″H x 102″W
The Cedar Grove Quilters are helping me quilt this piece. When we stretched it out in the quilt frames the checked border did not lay down properly. It was bunched up in places. Before we could start quilting I had to work on the quilt top and do some repairs. I had to take seams apart and then fold the seams inward so that each square fit better. Some of the square are now varying in size but at a glance it is not that noticeable and the quilting details make it work much better.
This doll had a crazy start. My great niece liked to play with old Barbies from the time she was a baby and she loved the Little Mermaid so I made a tail that would fit over the Barbie Legs. I came across this tail the other day and needing a refresher course in doll making, I thought I will start with this. You see my great niece is 7 now and she wants to make a Mermaid Doll. I made a pattern for the upper body and the arms, assembled and stuffed, embellished and used embroidery to make the face. I will make the hair next. Orange it will be.
Detail with Hair
view from behind
Close up of embroidery on the face
Older Mermaid Dolls These Dolls are made like Raggedy Ann Dolls These two are the first I made.
Cotton Rag Dolls
I had an idea for some serpentine arms after this.
Here is a pattern for the Sepentine style arms
3 Part Paper Pattern
A work in progress. The 3 separate parts were machine sewn to make the forms and then stuffed with the fiber fill Assembled by hand sewing
I have taken a break from this piece over the summer. I am designing as I go.
Today I went back to it and have started cutting some new 2 inch squares from my scraps.
I am committed to creating scrappy quilts and I like to get as
many different patterns of fabric as I can which makes for very fussy cutting.
Seems that I am working with the interplay of dark and light and a 9 patch cross unit. I can not plan ahead not in my DNA.
Here is the new square I made yesterday
2 inch squares
Nine Patch fragment
I have connected it to this square with these two blue 9 patch squares
I have two other squares that are different from these now how to use them.