The Blue and Yellow color scheme is a favorite of mine these days. After an inventory purging and reorganization of my quilting scrapes I am ready to start. I have come up with a pattern and I think I can pull it off with Four different string blocks. I am using a paper piecing technique. I like to use tissue paper because it is easily torn off.
What a process.
all my blue and yellow fabric scraps
Fabric Scraps to be ironed
making strings from fiber scraps
My sketch of the pattern and the number of squares I think I will need: 16 yellow patches, 76 blue and yellow patches, 12 light value (pale) patches, and 28 dark blue patches
This sketch today will help me to make some more adjustments as I get on with my design, while I am making the squares. At the present I have made 21 squares. I have enough to layout the center section and I can see that some adjustments are in order.
The corner where you see the B’s I will add the light blue strips. So I need to make 8 light+dark blue squares. This will provide a nice border in both the inner and the outer bands.
I have now added the dark blue and yellow string blocks which surround the lighter blue string blocks. Next I think I will add another row of lighter blue blocks.
This doll had a crazy start. My great niece liked to play with old Barbies from the time she was a baby and she loved the Little Mermaid so I made a tail that would fit over the Barbie Legs. I came across this tail the other day and needing a refresher course in doll making, I thought I will start with this. You see my great niece is 7 now and she wants to make a Mermaid Doll. I made a pattern for the upper body and the arms, assembled and stuffed, embellished and used embroidery to make the face. I will make the hair next. Orange it will be.
Detail with Hair
view from behind
Close up of embroidery on the face
Older Mermaid Dolls These Dolls are made like Raggedy Ann Dolls These two are the first I made.
Cotton Rag Dolls
I had an idea for some serpentine arms after this.
Here is a pattern for the Sepentine style arms
3 Part Paper Pattern
A work in progress. The 3 separate parts were machine sewn to make the forms and then stuffed with the fiber fill Assembled by hand sewing